The Golf Manor Fire Department (GMFD) proudly protects the Village with full professional fire and emergency medical services (EMS). We also provide the neighboring community of Amberley Village with EMS/paramedic services and the Ridgewood and Highland/Ridge areas of Columbia Township with fire and EMS/paramedic services.
Our emergency response team operates out of Station 47 located on the west side of Golf Manor located next to the Municipal Building on Wiehe Road. The Hamilton County Communications Center provides dispatch operations with our designation as Station 47.
With an ISO rating of “4,” our area of jurisdiction is primarily residential with some light industry and retail. We operate a public department whose members are on a combination of full-time and part-time personnel.
The origins of the Village can be traced to the beginning of our fire department. First organized as a private corporation in 1940, the GMFD offered protection to an unincorporated area of Columbia Township that was known as Golf Manor. Before that time, the City of Cincinnati Fire Department provided fire protection. This however, changed quickly when the City of Cincinnati decided against an annexation of the area, leaving the area with very limited protection.
Residents of the area were faced with the reality that they would soon be offered little in fire protection. Resident volunteers joined together and helped to organize the GMFD. Today we continue to protect much of the original territory of about 3 square miles.
A tribute plaque installed outside the firehouse states, “The Golf Manor Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1940 by a dedicated and selfless group of volunteers who recognized a need and accepted the challenge. For over five decades this department was staffed by generations of highly dedicated residents of our community, In that great tradition volunteers have continued to supplement our force as we progress to meet the needs of those we serve. This plaque is dedicated to all of our volunteers, past and present, and to their families who supported them and our department. No matter day or night, no matter the weather or interruption, you always answered the call. Through your many hours of dedication and sacrifice, often at the risk of life itself, so many have been comforted and countless lives have been saved.”
In 1995 the GMFD entered into an automatic-aid agreement with the nearby Deer Park/Silverton (DPS) Joint Fire District for mutual response to all structural alarms in either area of jurisdiction.
Today, our professional full-time and part-time staff proudly serve residents of the Village as well as neighboring Amberley Village with EMS/paramedic services and fire and EMS/paramedic service to the Ridge Fire District of Columbia Township for over 60 years.
Commanding the GMFD is Chief Jim Puthoff, a fire-service veteran with more than 20 years of experience, along with two Captains and two Lieutenants. The staff is supplemented by a flexible staff of firefighters and paramedics. All personnel are cross-trained as firefighter/EMT’s or firefighter/paramedics.
The GMFD is very busy for an agency of its size and is seeing more fire activity with the addition of the mutual aid agreement with the DPS. This coupled with the steady rise in EMS responses, our team of dedicated professionals proudly accepts any challenge set before them.